Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 1995 23:17:12 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@jette.heep.sax.de>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gating hackers into the newsgroups

>   The hackers list is already near 10 MB / month.  I won't like to see
>   it further bloated.
>
> The -hackers mailing list reads like a newsgroup anyways, so two-way
> gating will allow you to unsubscribe from -hackers and just read the
> articles in the newsgroup you're interested in following.

I still don't like it.  Usenet is too slow to respond in a timely
fashion, at least at this end of the world here.

A fully two-way gateway would further bloat the list.  80 % of the
questions asked in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc can easily be answered
by 80 % of the user base out there.  There is absolutely no need to ask
this kind of stuff to the _developers_ of the system.  Most of the
people apparently lack a good unix introduction.  The easier our
install procedure will become, the larger this part of the newsgroup
questions will grow.  This is not to say that this is a bad thing,
but IMHO, Usenet is better suited for a user <-> user support, while
the mailing lists provide for a way to have user <-> developer
interaction.  We do need both.

Jörg