Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 15:46:55 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <jim@luna.cdrom.com>
To:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd on a laptop

On Tue, 09 May 2000 at 16:54:29 -0500, Brennan W Stehling wrote:
> Soon I will have the option to have my company purchase me a computer
> for the office.  I have a FreeBSD box and an iMac at home which allows
> me to do all of the work that I do here.  My only limitation is that I
> am not mobile.
>
> I would like to have a laptop, but being connected to the internet
> and the development server while at, say, the beach, is not realistic
> right now. Instead I would like to have a laptop with a Unix/Linux
> system on it which can run apache/perl so that I can do my development
> work no matter if I am connected to the internet or not.
>
> Anyone know of how FreeBSD or any other BSD runs on a laptop?  How
> does X like a laptop?  Any major or minor concerns?

It runs fine.  I have had two Sony VAIO laptops running it, and there
are a bunch of other folks with laptops.. most are VAIOs, but there's a
Toshiba Satellite, and a Dell.  I think all of the of the VAIOs,
actually :-)

Depending on what the laptop has in it, it could be a bit of a PITA to
install -- what I usually keep a Windows parition around on it so I can
use the Winmodem if I'm on the road and forget to take a pccard modem
:-)  Doing the install that way makes it really simple.  If you get a
model with a built in fxp0, doing a network install probably would be a
no-brainer as well.

- jim

--
- jim mock - walnut creek cdrom/freebsd test labs - jim@luna.cdrom.com -