Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 21:21:14 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Plugin? (Re: Complaining at Warner Brothers? )

> Wait a minute.
>
> We all agree that we have a problem because Netscape won't give us
> their source and let us adapt it to their needs, right?

No, I certainly am not one in agreement with this.  I don't see that
Netscape is under any obligation to give us source at all, and saying
that it's a problem is sort of like saying that not being able to take
any arbitrary chunk of matter and turn it into food through advanced
transmogrification technology is a problem.  Sure, they're both
problems in a sense, and having solutions in hand would be wonderful,
but they're also issues for which the solutions are so far out of
practical reach that it's just really not worth debating them.

I'd like anti-gravity for cheaper space flight, too, but just wishing
for it won't make it so. :-)

> And now we turn around and say that we're perfectly happy if the
> RealAudio and Shockwave folks provide us with programs for which
> we don't have the source?
>
> I see a double standard here.

Not me, I see only confusion here. :-)

I don't think that anybody has realistically called for anybody to
give us source, not Netscape and not Shockwave.  There's no way in
hell that they're going to do it so why debate it at all?  This
is just silly.

> Do you consider Netscape's API `reasonable'?  I don't think I do,
> based on what I've heard.

It doesn't matter whether it's reasonable or not, they've set the
defacto standard and if you choose to go off and roll your own for
whatever reasons then you're making decisions out of expediency rather
than general wisdom.

> Seriously, can you give me one specific example of a case where
> a user is going to provide a useful plugin for which it would
> make more sense to have a plugin than actually changing the source?

Uh....  Why on earth would any user want to hack on your browser if
they could just write a compatible plug-in?  I certainly wouldn't, and
just trying to syncronize the different "extended" browser versions
would be a farging nightmare.  Imagine a set of pages designed to work
with JoelBrowser version 3.0 with the FooVision and BarAudio
extentions compiled in (rather than being dynamically loadable
plug-ins).  You find the extentions on the net, you compile up the
browser, joy!  You can see the page!  Then you follow a link at the
bottom and now it says you need JoelBrowser 2.3 with the BazFilter
extention (3.0 broke the BazFilter and the author is still working on
updating it).  Now what do you do?!  And that's just 3 possibilities -
the array of potentially incompatible extentions is theoretically
unbounded and it would be realistic for the average user to just give
up in disgust after recompiling JoelBrowser for the 5th time, just in
order to view a page.  Yuck.  This way lies madness.

						Jordan