Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 13:22:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
Cc:        Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upsd and BackUPS

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Marco Molteni wrote:

> > At last check the BestPower software is heavily copyrighted. They give
> > it out but I don't think I can read it & put it into WildWind upsd
> > without polluting it.
>
> I tought you could get their software only if you bought an UPS from
> them;  where did you get it?

I think I got it from the US site; I could be thinking about APC.

> If I'll buy a Best Power UPS I'll get in contact with you (Doug) to see
> what we can do about the sw.

Please do!

> If I understand your intentions, you'd like to merge the Best Power sw
> into the wildwind one to get a general-purpose upsd?

The WildWind upsd has a generic framework for adding additional UPS
drivers.  I think it would be advantageous to have a one-stop-shop for a
FreeBSD ups daemon since Alexey has done all the hard work in setting up
the framework, system bits, etc. and it's quite well designed and layed
out.  Plus it's infintely flexible with the config file.