Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2002 12:24:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Emre Bastuz <info@emre.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Solaris vs. FreeBSD in High Traffic Environments

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Emre Bastuz wrote:

=2E..
> I have just a couple of questions concerning the performance
> of those OSs when used for a high traffic webserver.

  I think it is important to define what "high traffic" is.  10Mbps
sustained?  30Mbps?  Percentage of dynamic content?

=2E..
> The machine got offline twice within 48 hours (the Solaris box had never
> crashed), that=B4s why some tweeking on the kernel and other parameters
> was done. Since then the server is performing great.

  How did it crash?

=2E..
> Any major differences in the calculation of the load values
> on both systems ?
=2E..

  Calculation of the load average is not percisely the same on all UNIX
variants.  It can't be made the same, because the task scheduler is
different in all the variants.

Tom