Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:03:11 -0800
From:      Ted Cabeen <secabeen@pobox.com>
To:        "Patrick J Okui" <pokui@one2net.co.ug>
Cc:        <adrianbsd@globalpc.net>, <aravindb@vsnl.com>, <oksala@videotron.ca>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Symantec Ghost-like app for UFS?

"Patrick J Okui" <pokui@one2net.co.ug> writes:

> < Adrian Gonzalez seems to have said >
>>
>> Just a quick note to thank everyone for all the suggestions.
>>
>> I was looking for something as automatic as possible (boot a flopy..
>> clone  disk adjusting partition sizes.. done).  We are an ISP and
>> regularly set up  FreeBSD boxes for customers that need a mail
>> server/inet gateway, and throw  in webmail, email virus scanning,
>> webmin, the works.
>>
>> Up until now we've been manually installing (and updating) these boxes
>> one  by one and it's getting kinda tedious to say the least.  Plus
>> there's just  a couple of us here that can do the installs, so it would
>> be great to have  something that anybody can use to clone the latest
>> -STABLE install with all  the goodies.
>
> Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but sysinstall can be
> scripted. I'm about to try it myself, but from what I can tell, you
> edit/usr/src/release/sysinstall/install.cfg and then do a 'make release' in
> /usr/src/release....(someone more knowlegeble on this please chip in)...
>
> So what u end up with is CD1 (and optionally CD2) that usually ships as
> the distribution set... man release(7) should have more on this...

You don't even need that much.  You can create a text file called
install.cfg, put it on a floppy and provide it once you've got
sysinstall up.  For my installs, I have 3 floppy disks which do the
whole install over the network totally unsupervised.  If your servers
have network cards that support PXE boot you can automate the entire
process.  Check out the sysinstall man page.

If anybody wants my install.cfg, let me know and I'll send it to you.

--
Ted Cabeen           http://www.pobox.com/~secabeen            ted@impulse.net
Check Website or Keyserver for PGP/GPG Key BA0349D2         secabeen@pobox.com