Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 02:42:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hodge Podge <nicole@unixgirl.com>
To:        Noses <noses@noses.com>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Casing wanted

On 16-Jun-01 Noses wrote:
> In article <36F7B20351634E4FBFFE6C6A216B30D54C1F@ecx1.edifecs.com>
> MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM (Michael VanLoon) wrote:
>> Hmmm...  Are you sure just biting the bullet and going SCSI raid wouldn't be
>> a better solution in this case?
>
> Both servers are running right now. I've gone the cheapest route and used
> Chenbro Net series casings (with as much power as possible). First tests
> show that 3ware's RAID5 isn't really up to fast writing (but vinum isn't
> either) but the 8 Maxtor 80 GB IDE drives are actually faster than vinum on
> 8 IBM DDYS (36GB) connected to a AHA29160. Using the 3ware RAID as 0+1 is
> quite fast, only the third alternative (having a SCSI-to-SCSI RAID
> controller behind the Adaptec controller) gave us even more (especially
> write) performance. I didn't get the numbers, just relative comparisons and
> it looks like 3ware is giving most bang/bucks although I'd have preferred
> them to use SCSI based servers. Well... I'm just waiting for the first admin
> to open one of the planned IDE boxes and strangling himselv with all those
> IDE cables...
>
> Bottom line: The 3ware Escalade 6000 series isn't that bad as it seems...
>

> Noses.

 You should get a version 7000 3Ware controller. 3wares Raid 5 performance has
been greatly enhanced from what I have come to learn, especially for writes.

  Nicole

   *    Nicole Harrington | AKA Hodge Podge          *
  nicole@unixgirl.com           http://www.unixgirl.com/
  webmistress@dangermouse.org   http://www.dangermouse.org/
  nicole@deviantimages.com      http://www.deviantimages.com/