Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 03:39:15 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sten_Daniel_S=F8rsdal?= <sten.daniel.sorsdal@wan.no>
To:        "Andrew Thompson" <andy@fud.org.nz>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 150 VLANS??

I would go for the 150 VLANs thing, it might get you if you're supplying =
public IP addresses to each apartment
Ie (that could be solved with for example PPPoE).

With 150 vlans you can more easily stop spoofing and do accounting in =
one rule=20
(spoofing is something im very concerned with regarding any network =
structure).

With 150 VLANs you can also do forms of load balancing (say 20 vlans of =
the group constantly use the net) you could shift
The vlans over to a second or third interface. Making it very easy to =
expand.

With VLANs you can also make sure no one is "cheating" by using the next =
apartments ratio/quota (if you are/will apply this).

Most VLAN switches have options to make sure no one with a vlan able =
adapter is able to make their own tagged packets as if it was the =
neighbour.

The network would go somewhat faster, especially for users as Windows =
(for example) slow down noticebly from network chatter.=20

And the users wont copy between eachother without you getting your cut =
(you are after all supplying the infrastructure).

The FreeBSD router can have backup systems making sure readings arent =
lost (as switches can easily be rebooted etc).

And if the FreeBSD router cant cope with the traffic you can always put =
in two without doing network gymnastics.

I can recommend FXP (Intel) network cards for VLANing, it doesn't do =
hardware vlaning but with polling added I would
Say that it would make up for it.

I run 100 vlans on a mere Celeron 500mhz ( okay, it has specially =
designed hardware - WAN Access Gateway - a product im charge of =
developing - shameless plug!) and it has no trouble in keeping up with =
the demands (on average 50 mbit intervlan traffic and peaks of 300mbit)=20

----------------------------------
Med vennlig hilsen / Best regards

Sten Daniel S=F8rsdal
Wireless Systems Manager