Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:10:26 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Typhoon?  (was: newsgroup server recommendation)

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 11:13:29AM +0100, Oliver Blasnik thus spoke:
> Hi there,

> Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com> wrote:

> >   Of course not! Now that Solaris 8 is available for x86 for
> > media costs only (about $75), there really is no real reason to
> > consider Linux for running Typhoon. Solaris has a much better
> > thread implementation as well, which should really benefit
> > Typhoon.

> Ok, now absolutely off-topic *eg*:
>
> You're correct, the Media is about 75$. But you do only get the
> licence for private use - check that out. And Sol/x86 is really,
> really expensive, com- pared to Sol/Sparc (ok, _then_ it's the
> hardware...). Or have I missed something?

From what I've read, you've missed something.

It says you can use Solaris 8 'at home or at work' on an up to
an 8 CPU system.  I had also read before that their free binary
license was to be free for all uses including commercial through an
8CPU installation.  They don't have their free source in place yet
but that is supposed to be coming.

> Btw, we are also planning to use Typhoon on Solaris, but on Sparc
> Architecture. A nice Raid-Array (0+1) attached for Storage - and
> then using compression, it's cheaper. My Lab-Setup showed me about
> 30% compression all over a big8+binaries feed.

That sounds nice.

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com