Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 10:34:51 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        bjn@visi.com
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bootstrapping FreeBSD/Alpha

Brent J. Nordquist wrote:
> Yes, this is a dedicated box for this effort, so I can do what I want
> with it.  Can you define "wallop"?

newfs 8-)

> | This way you
> | get the FreeBSD tools where the 'make world' build expects them to be
> | and you can just build normally. The build leaves out some programs and
> | you continue to use those from NetBSD.
> |
> | I can provide you with tarballs if you want to proceed with this.
>
> I looked at the "Alpha port status page" (green/yellow/red/blue dots) and
> my idea was to help turn things green.  I'll take whatever route will
> get me to a "productive" state where I can be of some help.  If that
> route is the tarballs, then yes, I'd like them.  (Either you can point
> me to FTP where I can get them, or I can make space available here for
> you to put them.)

I can ftp them direct if that is possible . They're not intended for
public consumption at this stage.

> Yes, I had understood this.  I won't be of much help with kernel hacking;
> I just need one that is sufficient for userland work.  Would this hacked
> kernel be one of the above-mentioned tarballs?

Yes. It is convenient to use if you want to work on ports (traditional
FreeBSD meaning) because GNU configure scripts identify the system as
FreeBSD.

Would you mind sending me details of both your i386 and alpha hardware
config? The best installation method really depends on whether you will
keep a NetBSD disk on the alpha; if you have a SCSI interface on i386
that you can use to dd an image to the disk; etc...

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137