Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:51:17 +1000
From:      George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting Dell 2550 Raid to boot with FreeBSD on FreeBSD-4.3-STABLE

I was able to get my Dell 2550 to install on the perc 3
when I made my own 4.3 STABLE install CD.

It didn't write a valid MBR, and/or didn't make the RAID
container bootable. Maybe installboot didn't run properly?

I booted from CD, launched emergency shell, mounted the drives
and used fdisk -Bi /dev/aacd0 to install /boot/mbr (copied
into the MD / from /mnt/boot/mbr, the floppy doesn't have it)
and set partition 1 to bootable.

Now it boots fine.

Dunno if this is hardware, or a sysinstall glitch. There
seem to be quite a few unanswered questions on freebsd-questions
about this kind of problem...

cheers
        -George