Date:      Sun, 6 Sep 1998 20:15:51 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>, Leif Neland <leifn@internet.dk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: textmode telnet for win95

In the last episode (Sep 06), rick hamell said:
> From: "Leif Neland" <leifn@internet.dk>
>> Sorry for this off-topic question, but my usual Freebsd-machines are
>> currently unavailable, so I have to use this poor 50MHz-DX2 running
>> win95 to do telnet work.
>>
>> It would probably do Fbsd very nice, but it is borrowed, so I can't
>> put fbsd on it. Besides, my homebanking isn't ported to fbsd...
>>
>> Anyway, a graphical telnet is ssslllloooowww, it scrolls at a rate
>> of one line/sec. Is a textmode telnet available for win95?
>
> 	Yes, it a FTP are available in the basic installtion of Win95,
> assuming the networking PPP or Lan access has been installed. simple go
> start -> run-> type in 'telnet <wherever>'

He's talking about a telnet that opens up a text-mode DOS window.  The
win95 telnet.exe opens up a standard windows window, and has one of the
worst terminal emulations available :) Try CRT or sCRT
(http://www.vandyke.com) for one of the best available.

I just did an altavista search on "+telnet windows console text" and
got these links:

http://www.chrysalis.org/jbj/telc.htm
http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~dacut/telnet.shtml
http://consoletelnet.home.ml.org/

I've used the client at the first link, and it works well.

BTW - a 486-50dx2 should not have any problems scrolling in graphic
mode.  Make sure you are using the correct win95 video driver (not the
generic VGA one if you can help it), and try lowering the screen size
to 640x480, 16 or 256-color.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com