Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 23:47:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@corbulon.video-collage.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: troubles with recent -current

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> > There are probably going to be a few nits involved in the VFS changes,
> > but there are a number of serious bugs being fixed here. I've been
> > running into a bug on some boxes involving a race condition that
> > occurs when newsyslog runs on a busy system resulting in a inode
> > deadlock. It also may be that many of the problems were bumping into
> > now may merely be existing bugs that are now more visible.
>
> I'm sure we made progress. But it would be better, if the "few nits"
> were noticed and fixed before committing. They are impossible not to
> bump into -- judging by the others' responses -- unless, of course, the
> developers do not routinely use -current as their primary OS. Something
> we all should be doing now, that the long promised release date is only
> two months away.

The VFS patch was posted at least a week or two ago, and I've been running
it on one of my own machines for at least a few days without problems.
Inevitably in the committing of any large set of changes, there will be
nits, and they seem to be resolving themselves pretty quickly (just saw
two jeffr commits that were things missed in merging the patchset).

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories