Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 1995 11:18:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: large filesystems/multiple disks [RAID]

> >How about disk mirroring ? If you have a _mirrored_ database on two 2G
> >disks and then add 2x2G (or may be 1x4G) and get spanned mirrored database.
> >You get reliability due to mirroring and easy expansion due to spanning.
>
> That would be most entirely useful.  These days with disk prices being what
> they are, mirroring is cheaper than a true RAID solution (heck of alot faster
> too :)

So, technical merits of striping vs. mirroring vs. RAID aside, does anybody
have a pointer to a sample implementation of *anything*?

I was looking at the DEC ULTRIX ds driver man page this morning, and it
sounds like a fairly simple and easy strategy to follow, although not
particularly flexible.  Does anyone know of anything like this that's
already out there?

... Joe