Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 18:01:17 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        dscheidt@enteract.com, tlambert@primenet.com, noslenj@swbell.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dual 400 -> dual 600 worth it?

At 12:28 PM 12/14/1999 , Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Also, I'm sure you will agree that hundreds of spindles on one computer
> > is not the norm. We shouldn't bog down our core standards because of one
> > case that's several sigma off the low end of the probability scale.
>
>I don't see how core standards are getting bogged down by this;
>you personally use IDE, right?

I personally use both IDE and SCSI. Even the laptop I'm typing this
on now has both.

>So it doesn't bog you down, at
>least not except in the sense that you are already bogged down
>by not being able to interleave your commands because your chosen
>interface doesn't full implement its core standard.

Again, I haven't chosen just one interface. But what I'd like to
see is a core standard that offers the maximum performance at
the least cost in the greatest number of applications. A full
implementation of SCSI features over a fast TTL interface with
relatively short cables would be the best of both worlds.

Of course, none of the other interfaces would go away, so if you
really wanted to run a 15-foot cable SCSI would still be there.

> > Also, putting that much disk space on a single machine may not be a good idea.
> > If it has that much data to serve up or search, it's probably going to be
> > strapped for CPU cycles or network bandwidth.
>
>I only have two things to say to that:
>
>1)      Altavista
>2)      www.cdrom.com

Neither should be one big machine. (Yes, I know that CDROM.COM is, but that's
not the way I personally would have implemented it. I would have used at
least two machines for redundancy's sake, if for no other reason.)

--Brett