Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 02:02:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@nike.efn.org>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "make install" for subsequent machines?

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Harlan Stenn wrote:

> One of the machines on my network stays -current wich cvsup.
>
> Periodically, I do a "make world" using the -current repository on one
> machine.
>
> Whenever I've tried (in the past) to upgrade/install other machines
> using the -current src and obj trees, I've noticed that many things get
> recompiled.
>
> How can I "install" from a -current src and obj hierarchy on other
> machines without having to recompile various bits?

from src/Makefile:
# The intended user-driven targets are:
# world       - rebuild *everything*, including glue to help do upgrades.
# reinstall   - use an existing (eg: NFS mounted) build to do an update.
# update      - convenient way to update your source tree (eg: sup/cvs)
# most        - build user commands, no libraries or include files
# installmost - install user commands, no libraries or include files
# all         - run through SUBDIR and build everything.  This is an
implicit
#               rule, not particularly useful for everybody.  Use 'world'.

looks like you want make reinstall

> If this is documented somewhere, please let me know.  I didn't see it in
> the FAQ or handbook.

it's in the source :)  "Use the Source Luke" (I think jkh but I'm not sure

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)