Date:      Mon, 02 Dec 1996 23:32:06 -0600
From:      Lee Crites <adonai@jump.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   ups recommendations...

I have some questions concerning power problems, and how y'all (the Texas
non-gender specific pronoun) might be handling them.  I'm open to any level
of assistance you can provide on any/all questions (flames happily ignored).

So here goes...

1)  At this time I have a ups on each machine.  Various makes and models and
capablilities mixed and (mis)matched.  I'd like to change to a single ups
with a warning to one of the freebsd boxes when time is short.  I can handle
a script which will tell everyone to shut down, I just need to be know when
to send it.  I know of some ups interfaces which work with win95/winNT, and
I do happen to have a win95 box on the system.  However I don't know how to
make the win95 box tell the freebsd box(es) to shut down.

2)  When something *does* happen, and for some unknown reason things need to
be rebooted, I'd like to be able to do that remotely.  I've been told of a
handly dandy little box which you plug into a phone line.  You enter a code
of some variety (via the touch-pad), and it will signal the machine to
reboot.  I've tried some web searches, but haven't found anything matching
this description.  I called my isp and asked them what they had.  The
support people didn't know what it was called.  The only description they
could give me was "black and silver box with the word 'Stanley' on it that
had a phone jack, a power in and a power out and some other connector
attached."  They assumed the 'other connector' was something attached to one
of the main machines, but since the line went into a conduit they couldn't
follow it.

3)  I have an gas-powered electric generator.  It has a slot for a starter
(it's the manual pull chord right now).  Anyone set up a generator on their
system?  What kind of starter interface works?  I called some of the local
briggs&straton dealers and they acted like I was speaking some ancient
swahili dialect.

4)  I was told to keep my router off of the ups completely.  The logic was
if my router was still up and the telephone company was down then it would
be more difficult for the router to reconnect.  I don't quite follow this
line of thinking.  After all the CO has power backups out the wazoo, so it
stands to reason it would be up.  Anyway, what thoughts do you have on this
point?  Keep the router on the ups or off?

Thanks muchly for whatever help you can provide.  I don't mind researching
if all you can toss at me is a web pointer or a company name.

Lee Crites