Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:51:01 +0900
From:      Hye-Shik Chang <perky@i18n.org>
To:        Khairil Yusof <kaeru@streamyx.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: python version, modules and Zope

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 10:37:01PM +0800, Khairil Yusof wrote:
> I'm starting to try port most of the Plone/CMF collective and any
> dependencies, and I'm encountering this problem.
>
> USE_ZOPE=yes forces PYTHON_VERSION=python2.1
>
> What happens is that, any python module dependencies, gets installed in
> python2.1 site-packages directory, and usually conflicts with one
> installed as python2.3. eg.
>
> py21-imaging vs py23-imaging
>
> Although they should co-exist peacefully, as they are installed in
> separate directories, make install will complain that an older version
> of py-imaging (py23-imaging in this case) is already installed. Similarly
> portupgrade will try to  upgrade py21-imaging to py23-imaging.

Do you have up-to-date ports tree? Recursive version keeping in a
dependent builds is added recently into bsd.python.mk and python
modules that have same origin are co-exist even on my pkgdb too.

% ls -d /var/db/pkg/py2*-cjkcodecs*
/var/db/pkg/py21-cjkcodecs-1.0.2/  /var/db/pkg/py23-cjkcodecs-1.0.2/
/var/db/pkg/py22-cjkcodecs-1.0.2/

But we need to register py22-*, py21-* ports to HOLD_PKGS of
portupgrade, because there's no mechanism to keep build-time
environment variables on pkgdb.

Hye-Shik