Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 15:17:44 +0100
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        mel bessaha <seek3r@neurotic.dyndns.org>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.3 and JHTTP Servlet Engines

Ernst de Haan wrote:

>>Finally, which servlet engines are most of you running?  Ive heard bad
>>things about Tomcat with regard to speed and over all stability.  Some
>>have suggested Jetty or GNUjsp for jsp/beans work.  Ive read that Orion
>>Application Server is also a good alternative to tomcat.  Which is more
>>efficient and speedy?
>>

> The advantage of Orion is IMHO that you have an active maintainer within
> reach (me) ;-)
>
> Ernst

I've also been fighting with tomcat over the past few days and could not
believe how much trouble it is. Sure, it's easy to install, but servlet
reloading is very unreliable. We have been using jserv until now, which
is rock solid, but we are forced to enter the new millenium and get up
to speed with the newer jserv api :)

I'm actively looking for alternatives.

Has anyone had the same bad experiences with tomcat? And Ernst, why did
you choose Orion instead of tomcat?

Regards,
Marc.
Marc van Kempen               tel. +31 40 2 64 98 60
BowTie Technology     	      fax. +31 40 2 64 98 61
Raiffeisenstraat 7             mailto:marc@bowtie.nl
5611 CH  Eindhoven              http://www.bowtie.nl