Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 17:13:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jasone@canonware.com (Jason Evans)
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP meeting summary

>    - Netgraph poses locking performance problems, since locks have to be
>      released at multiple potential transfer points, regardless of whether
>      Netgraph is in use.  This problem also exists with System V STREAMS.
>      During the meeting we didn't come to a clear consensus on how much of
>      a problem this really is.

FWIW, Soft Updates will have similar issues.

In Streams, this was addressed by removing two primitives, and creating
what are called "priority bands" to deal with the issue (I worked for
Novell USG when UnixWare was going to 2.0 and integrating the ES/MP code
into the SVR4 base, and saw much of this happen).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.