Date:      Sun, 5 May 2002 08:50:55 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        ARUN G NAIR <virtualarun@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install help plz..

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 06:33:31AM -0700, ARUN G NAIR wrote:
> Hello....
>
> I am gonna install FBSD 4.5 on my sys.Should it be
> installed in a partition that is inside 1024 cylinders
> ?

That depends on the BIOS in your machine. Older BIOS's wouldn't boot
if the root partion was past 1024 cylinder in some cases.  Newer
BIOS's don't have that problem.

> Is there any difference btw linux and BSD commands.

Yes and no.  The userland stuff is pretty much the same.  The admin
stuff can be different in some cases, Linux is more SVR4ish, and BSD
is, well, BSDish.

Just some quick differences, not at all exhaustive:

Most linux distros link vi to vim these days. FreeBSD gives you plain
vi (you can install vim if you want)

FreeBSD uses sockstat to view listening sockets, it's a switch to
netstat in Linux.

Linux uses wget for automated fetching of things, FreeBSD uses fetch,
you can install wget if you want.

FreeBSD has a cvsup facility (in the ports).  Linux users can only
dream.  <big slab of troll bait thrown on the table>

Josh