Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 95 20:48:04 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>
To:        Terry Lee <terry@uivlsi.csl.uiuc.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Faster tape throughput

>         I've been experimenting with "buffer"; it is similar to "dd" but
> enables my wt tape drive to actually stream.  There is also "ddd", though I
> haven't tested it on FreeBSD yet.
>                                                        Both program require
> shared memory and semaphores.

Then there is `team' by Piercarlo Grandi (see Vol 27, Issue
195, comp.source.unix), which relies Unix V7 features only
(and hence runs on pretty much every Unix system).  A `team'
of prcesses share a common input file descriptor and and a
common output file descriptor and take turns reading and
writing (and synchronize by using a ring of pipes).  For
example:

tar cf - . | team 64k > /dev/rst0               # blocksize 64k, write to tape
team 64k < /dev/rst0 | tar tvf -                # blocksize 64, read from tape
tar cf - . | team -o 1200k 15k > /dev/rfd0a     # volume size 1200k

Definitely recommended (especially for streamer tapes).

Bakul

PS: ddd does not require shared mem or system provided
semaphores.  In fact, it uses the same mechanism as team's.
I don't use ddd because a) it is not an exact superset of
dd, and b) it only uses two processes, while team will use
as many processes as you want (default 4) and it will also
allow you specify the volume size.