Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2019 10:05:43 +0100
From:      peter.blok@bsd4all.org
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   iSCSI stall

Hi,

I have a ReadyNAS RND4000 as an iSCSI target. The target is the only =
device in a ZFS pool and is receiving backups thru zfs receive. The =
initiator is FreeBSD 11.x (recent stable at this moment), but this =
probably happens with 12.0 as well.

During a zfs receive it stalls. Nothing happens anymore. When I send a =
TUR via camcontrol everything continues. Any other target on any other =
platform works fine.

When I take a network trace it looks as if it is around SYNCHRONIZE =
CACHE. If this takes too long in the target and before the reply is back =
some new READ CDBs are send, it seems to hang only showing Nop-In and =
Nop-out. The moment I send a TUR it continues replying with the data of =
the READs that were owed.

It is not a big deal, but it irritates me and I would like to create a =
work-around for this, assuming it is caused by the target and there is =
probably no way to fix it there. One test was to create a quirk to =
reduce the tags to 1, but that didn=E2=80=99t help. Although it is 1 it =
still seems to send multiple CDB concurrently.

In the past I have attempted to port FreeBSD to the ReadyNAS, but got =
stuck on fan control. I wasn=E2=80=99t able to control the fan and it =
made too much noise. I was able to get the network up and running.

Any tips?