Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:40:40 +1100 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        Craig Beasland <craig@hotmix.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Multihoming

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Craig Beasland wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Thanks for the links - I have already seem the second one, thats the one
> that scared me so much in the first place - it is also very cisco focused.
>
> I did start to investigate BGP with freebsd and gated and was almost ready
> to tackle it, when I received an advisory about gated - cant find any
> reference to it now but I clearly remember it, I promise.  Not sure about
> Zebra never got that far.

Hi Craig,

I wrote you quite a detailed reply in private yesterday but I'm a little
bewildered at the zero response from you...? Unless you're overwhelmed by
people trying to help. :-)

With regards to Zebra, I have another suggestion: MRTd
(http://www.merit.edu/~mrt/). This is a similar "Cisco style CLI" routing
daemon which is probably a bit more stable than Zebra, although the latter
does contain more latest and greatest features.

FYI, I run a custom version of FreeBSD on my border which is connected to
a TA220 ISDN modem using PPP to my upstreams. I use MRTd for BGP talk. I
used to use gated, and it worked well, but once I started doing BGP
globally it just became too limiting.

If you need any assistance with MRTd (or the whole BGP thing) I'd be happy
to help.

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                              http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/