Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 10:59:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CRC-16 algorithms?

On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> Hmm, I was actually assuming that it was accumulated 8 bits at a time;
> the RAM is normally accessed in 8-bit lots, and there's an odd number
> of bytes involved...
yes but you can accumulate a CRC of any degree (8, 16, 32, etc.) with any
number of bits at a time. For example, lots of hardware accumulates it a
bit at a time (at the serial input). The nature of the CRC polynomical is
not really affected by how many bits at a time you compute it. I have a C
program that computes the atm crc-32 8 bits at a time, as well as a VHDL
program that computes it 64 bits at a time.

Not that any of this helps your current problem :-)

ron