Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 13:57:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Reid <root@edmweb.com>
To:        Neal Rigney <neal@mail.pernet.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>, isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Logging pppd connect & disconnect

> > It's done with a line in /etc/ttys:
> > ttyd1   "/usr/sbin/pppd -detach 115200" unknown on secure
> > This makes the winsock scripts extremely simple, but it doesn't leave
> > much opertunity for customized logging.
> >
> Out of curiosity, does Win95 work for you without scripting?

Haven't tried it with Win95 yet... Should I expect any problems????? I've
got it working with my FreeBSD machine, and with a couple of Win 3.1
machines using Trumpet Winsock. Unfortunately, I don't have a win95
machine handy. :(

I like this setup, because it doesn't require every user to have their own
account with home directory etc on the FreeBSD terminal server box. Users
still need accounts for mail, but that'll probably be on another machine
anyway.

> Anyway, try using ip-up and ip-down for logging.  Our machines aer set up

Hadn't thought of that... Hmm... [clickety-clickety "man pppd"]... It
seems that the user name is not passed to that script. Using dynamic-IP,
there's no way to associate the address with the username, and it's the
username I need for billing purposes.

> Also, I think the newest pppd (in -stable) logs the amount of time pppd
> was used to syslog.  That may do close enough to what you want without any
> hassle.

Sounds like it could work... But DOES IT LOG THE USERNAME?

I'm beginning to doubt that I can do this unless I set aside some time to
Use The Source. I'm really glad the source is available. :)

| Steve Reid - SysAdmin & Pres, EDM Web (http://www.edmweb.com/)    |
| Email: steve@edmweb.com   Home Page: http://www.edmweb.com/steve/ |
| PGP (2048/9F317269) Fingerprint: 11C89D1CD67287E68C09EC52443F8830 |
|          -- Disclaimer: JMHO, YMMV, TANSTAAFL, IANAL. --          |