Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 10:03:38 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Paul Hart <hart@iserver.com>
To:        Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: envy.vuurwerk.nl daily run output

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Adam Laurie wrote:

> If someone backdoors your system with an authorized key, and is
> confident they can gain root from a luser account, they don't need to
> go any further, and it's extremely likely that the change will go
> unnoticed *forever*

But if you have hostile local users with root access, can you even trust
the output from /etc/security?

I see the output from /etc/security as (somewhat) interesting statistical
data, but in my opinion it should never be used for intrusion detection or
be used as a serious security tool.  If I can root your box, what's to
stop me from falsifying the reference data in /var used by /etc/security
to detect system changes?  If nothing else, calling it a "security" script
gives a false sense of just that.

Paul Hart

--
Paul Robert Hart        ><8>  ><8>  ><8>        Verio Web Hosting, Inc.
hart@iserver.com        ><8>  ><8>  ><8>        http://www.iserver.com/