Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 08:00:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        nitronarc@iname.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: time usage and billing generation

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000 nitronarc@iname.com wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I have a small project on my plate now. It has to deal with a network
> of info-kiosks in selected areas in our city. Eack kiosk has between
> 10-15 terminal units and a server. There is a central server for
> updates and accounting purposes.
>
> The main requirement of the project is to be able to track the
> log-in/log-out, create a usage log/report and generate a billing slip
> for the client. And lastly, batch the daily data for uploading to the
> central server.

Define "log-in/log-out".

Are users supposed to supply a login/password at the start, and logout at
the end?

What should the bill be calculated on?

Number of pages served? cached pages or non-cached?

Number of bytes served?

Number of minutes somebody has stood at front of a terminal?

Number of minutes somebody has accessed at least one page? (Beware of
auto-refreshing pages)

There is no such concept as "logging on/off" an ethernet. The machine is
on from boot to shutdown, regardless if an user is there.

> Are there any systems or software packages that are available for this
> purpose. Our servers are FreeBSD or Linux, the terminals are
> OS-hardware embedded (Linux/WinCE)/X-Windows-based.

Define what you want to measure first.

Leif