Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:07:23 +0100 (CET)
From:      Trond Endrestol <trond@ramstind.gtf.ol.no>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Making sure /var/tmp/vi.recover exists during reboot

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> Not until someone can explain how making /var/tmp a symlink to /tmp is
> sensible, given that /var/tmp is documented as containing "temporary
> files that are kept between system reboots" (see hier(7)).
>
> So basically, no. :-)
I chose to use MFS for /tmp and symlinking /var/tmp and /usr/tmp to
/tmp for sake of speed.

No disk activity is involved when the temporary files on the MFS are
in use. (This slightly false if the MFS is paged out or swapped out
completely.)

If I want something preserved between reboots, I'll use /var/otmp
which is the original /var/tmp or my own ~/tmp directory.