Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 16:55:50 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        "'obrien@FreeBSD.ORG'" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: sio, nrc and sym questions for NoName

> On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 01:29:34PM +0100, Koster, K.J. wrote:
> > It seems that the onboard NCR 810 is not recognized by the
> sym driver.
>
> What is the date of your kernel?  The `sym' maintainer just
> added suport for the NCR 810 chip.

Dunno the date, but it's the 4.0 Release iso image from ftp.FreeBSD.org.
With only 16Mb RAM I'm not going to build the world anytime soon.

> > I had to use the ncr driver for it. Wilko, perhaps this
> > might be useful to mention in HARDWARE.TXT.
>
> I use the `ncr' driver on my AS 250 and have no problems with
> it.  So it isn't like using `ncr' is a terriable thing.  IMHO the
> comments beside `ncr' and `sym' in the GENERIC kernel
> configuration file tell this.

Oh? It was my understanding that the ncr driver was to be replaced by the
sym driver at some point. I guess that's a while off then.

> > I noticed that ed0 is not in the generic kernel. Will my
> > old isa NE1000 work in that box, or should I (finally) buy
> > some other NIC?
>
> Unsure.  I don't believe anyone has really tested it.  A $10
> PCI NIC will do very well in the NoName.

I don't doubt it will. It's just that I have the NE1000's in the cupboard
and I get off work after shop's closing hours. :-)

I'll be the first one to stick an NE1000 into the NoName then. Cool, I'm not
usually a first mover. :)

    Kees Jan