Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 23:09:52 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser), michaelv@HeadCandy.com, jas@flyingfox.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI again: Asus SC200 vs. Adaptec 2940

>>Stefan:
>> This makes me wonder (again), whether I really should spend $1000
>> on the necessary hardware, and time worth some $10000 or more (if I
>> spent it on paid work) just to allow other people to use the latest
>> 53c8xx variants (Ultra-WIDE), who then complain about a NCR driver
>> bug, whenever some VM system tuning introduces temporal instability :)
>
>Rod:
>Don't make me laugh... I've probably invested well into the 6 digits
>of time and money into FreeBSD in one way or another.  I am sure David,
>John, Jordan, Poul, Julian, and a fist full of others are in the same
>situation.

I'd like to jump in here.

I know Rod and I know Stefan too.

You guys are like made to misunderstand each other!

We all know that the relationship between the resources a person
can muster for FreeBSD in terms of HW and $$$ has nothing to do
with the value of that contributor to the project.

Several people have proved that point many times over, Stefan is
one of them.

$1000 may not sound like much to Rod, but to a lot of people that
would be all of one years budget for computer-hw, in many cases
probably even more than that.

I really wish we could get some people to donate money, so that
we could help productive but HW-challenged people like Stefan.

The confusing thing here is the smiley after Stefans complaint.
If I read it right, its that feeling of "the world is an unjust
place, but heck, it's still better than the alternative".

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.