Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2001 23:26:15 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KERNCONF instead of KERNEL?

In message <15007.64436.475064.323404@guru.mired.org> Mike Meyer writes:
: How well does setting the serial console help in this case? I've not
: used it, as my remote admin experience is with hardware that lets you
: talk to the mobo rom via a serial line. If the appropriate serial
: flags will let you work in single user mode over a serial line, then
: you can do the installworld in single user mode. If they let you boot
: an alternate kernel over a serial line, then you're set, aren't you?

Yes.  Serial line remote consoles are indeed useful for remote
installs doing a major upgrade.

Warner