Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 11:29:53 +0000
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        Maildrop <maildrop@qwest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Release, Stable, Current

In message <NGBBIILBAKIFGHHCHOHPGECLCDAA.maildrop@qwest.net>, Maildrop
<maildrop@qwest.net> writes

>Doh!  There was even a link on the main page.
>
>Just found this:
>http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.5R/errata.html
>
>This is all I should have to worry about, correct?

Not really, although it's stuff you should be aware of.

Basically you need to update your sources to follow the RELEASE tree.
This is the tree that adds just security fixes and critical patches.
You obviously seem comfortable with cvsup so just set the tag to
RELENG_4_5 instead of RELENG_4

Once you get more confident you may decide to track -stable but by then
you'll have learnt some of the kickers and things to watch out for.
That said a lot of people who very much know what they're doing still
only track release for production machines.  It's a bit of a judgement
call you need to make, but if ever you're unsure stick to release.

Oh, and I don't know anyone who uses -current on a production machine,
there's probably one or two but I think that's it.  It should only be
used on a machine that can afford downtime.

Kevin

--
kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk