Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:13:10 +0100
From:      Patrik Sundberg <ps@radiac.mine.nu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   valgrind

hi,

I found this tool called valgrind (http://devel-home.kde.org/~sewardj/) a f=
ew
days ago and find it really interesting. It is something similair to purify
(memory use debugger one could call it I guess) but GPL'ed and developed by
the KDE team from what I can tell. I have been looking for this kind of tool
for a long time and haven't found one I really like yet.

As it is right now valgrind is x86&linux 2.4 specific (probably gcc specific
too..) but I would really love to see a FreeBSD port. It should be quite
possible to port the OS specific parts to handle FreeBSD systemcalls instead
of Linux ones. Is anyone already looking in to this or interested? It would=
 be
a great tool to debug the base system with as well as your own applications.

--=20
Patrik Sundberg    Address: Rydsv=E4gen 100C, 584 31 Link=F6ping, Sweden   =

                   Email:   ps@raditex.se || ps@radiac.mine.nu             |
                   Phone:   +46 13 178567 || +46 707 602240                |
=2E---> Applied Physics and Electrical Engineering student                 =

|-----> Master of Science in Business Administration and Economics student |
|-------> UNIX/Programming consultant                                      |