Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:48:57 +0100
From:      Andy Cowan <andyc@waverider.net.uk>
To:        Maartje van der Heide <maartje@simplex.nl>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Micropolis 3243 7200 rpm in a newsmachine?

At 12:04 14/04/97 +0200, Maartje van der Heide wrote:
>Now, is this just bad luck, since we had the micropolis harddisks
>working for one and half year without a single problem?
>The rotational speed is 7200 rpm, is it too much for a newsmachine
>(will it heat up too much) ? Or will there be no problem when I
>buy a separate box to hold (and cool) the disks?

We had three of the Microps fail with 12 months of having them (in our
newsserver). Same symptoms, grinding noise, suspected failed bearings.

Microp took them back without a fuss, implying to me that the problem was
known.

Switched to Conners, haven't had any problem since :-)

Andy

Andy Cowan			               Tel: 01564 795888
Technical Director		      	        Fax: 01564 795177
Wave Rider Internet plc	          	http://www.waverider.co.uk