Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:03:40 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@hilink.com.au>
To:        Paul Stewart <paul@kawartha.com>
Cc:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nonexistent

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Paul Stewart wrote:

> Somebody might be able to yell at me for this, but on several of our ftp
> servers we use DATE as our shell and they can't get shell access.
> Hopefully nobody is going to flame me over that...:)
>
> Make sure you add /bin/date to your /etc/shells file or it won't
> show...<smile>

If user ftp has no password, and it is not listed in /etc/ppp/ppp.deny and
you are running PAP ppp logins on the same box, people will be able to get
a ppp connection as user ftp.  I fixed this between 2.2.2 and 2.2.5, and a
FreeBSD security alert was announced at the time, although it did not
describe the exploit.  I think enough time has passed for the exploit to
be mentioned.  So...

  MAKE SURE USER 'ftp' HAS '*' IN THE PASSWORD FIELD :-)

Danny