Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:33:09 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Download of FreeBSD 3.0-SNAP

> Crap.  The job of the filesystem is to provide optimal performance for
> typical application usage.  Why do you think UFS already has
> behavioural tweaks for small files?  Do you want to modify applications
> so they never create small files?
>
> You're pushing the application/filesystem boundary in the wrong
> direction, and your Clydesdale has a sore rear.

Hmmm. I've just spent the last month running various benchmarks on IBM's GPFS (General Parallel File System), looking for the optimal way to access it, so these geophysical applications can slurp up their data as fast as possible. Mind you, IBM have changed GPFS a bit after we found some oddities. But where people want the last ounce (milligram?) of performance, they will rewrite their apps to suit the FS/hardware. But, that's not typical I guess.

	Stephen
--
  The views expressed above are not those of PGS Tensor.

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
     the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
     this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California