Date:      Sat, 17 May 1997 23:16:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        jlj.mitchell.max@worldnet.att.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reinstalling or Unistalling FreeBSD (but I still am going to use it)

> I installed FreeBSD with the Full Development setup and I usually
> install with custom. Now I'm having full file system problems and want
> to start from sub-scratch. How do I re/uninstall FreeBSD. DOn't get this
> wrong but I love FreeBSD:)

So do I, after I reinstalled it three times :-) (with periods of fighting
with my Linux Distribution in between)!

I put all the customized files (kernel configuration file, /etc/sysconfig ..)
in my home directory and saved it on a floppy.

# tar -czf /dev/fd0 .
                    ^ my home directory

and then I restarted inserted boot.flp, reboot. During intallation I
selected to make new filesystems on all partitions to get rid of the
old files.

Wolfgang