Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2001 19:58:11 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Greek Translation of doc/ tree

--BI5RvnYi6R4T2M87

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 10:18:36PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> I've started translating documentation from doc/en_US.ISO8859-1 to the
> Greek language, and in a local CVS repository have created a
> doc/el_GR.ISO8859-7 tree to hold the docs while I'm working on them.
> So far, I've only managed to find three Greek FreeBSD users who are
> willing to help translating articles and parts of the FAQ.

  Looks like you're off to an excellent start.  I was able to build
the FAQ, and the articles you've translated without any difficulty.
Although, of course I couldn't decipher any of the web pages that were
displayed in Netscape.

> There were a few changes I had to make in doc/el_GR.ISO8859-7/ files
> to make sure that at least the HTML version of the docs builds
> correctly.  I'm not really an SGML expert, and parts of the HTML
> output (like `Chapter' and `Table of Contents' words in headings)
> remain in English, but you can see what has been translated so far at:

  Those names are specified as entities.  You can see how this is done
by looking through
/usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl/modular/common/dbl1??.(dsl|ent)

  For example, dbl1en.dsl, defines an entity for the spanish word for Chapter.

<!ENTITY Chapter         "Cap\U-00ED;tulo">

  I believe you will find the same in dbl1el.dsl/ent for Greek.

  You just need to tell your stylesheets (not sure where, probably in
your localized freebsd.dsl) to use the Greek localizations instead of
the default English localizations.

> The question is, when would it be a nice point in time to send-pr the
> doc/el_GR.ISO8859-7 changes and have them included in the FreeBSD
> docs?

  I'll have to let Nik or someone else comment on this, since I don't
have any experience with bringing in new translations.  It looks
pretty good to me. ;)

      - Murray

--BI5RvnYi6R4T2M87

--BI5RvnYi6R4T2M87--