Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 1995 18:59:12 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Making a FreeBSD NFS server

As David Greenman wrote:

> >The idea was not to use the _free_ memory, but _dedicate_ a large
> >amount of memory for the buffer cache.

>    In the scheme of things it is escentially the same thing. As long
> as the server doesn't have other things happening on it, eventually
> nearly all of the memory will become a huge file cache. If the
> server is also a general purpose development machine or does other
> memory intensive things, the situation will be different of
> course...but I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

At least for my case, this is what we are actually using.  The machine
serves as a company's main NFS server, as well as being used by a
couple of users as their default environment (mainly because they have
been too annoyed by the broken or inconsistent or slow development
environment offered by the commercial systems around).  The latter
included even compiling _heavy_ C++/X11 jobs (resulting image
including symbol table ~ 30 MB), and the FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 system proved
to cope with all those requests *very* well.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/