Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 22:48:01 -0400
From:      "Christopher G. Petrilli" <petrilli@amber.org>
To:        FreeBSD Small <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Command-line i/f (Re: PicoBSD)

On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 09:00:37PM -0400, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:

> > >Not even that.  IOS's command interface is a festering abomination.
> > >Emulating it would be a major error.
> >
> > Want to support yer statement? =) Just curious about the how and why...
>
> It's horrible.
>
> It suffers from trying to be backwards comptible with ancient code, and
> being extended into new and wonderful directions.

When I worked for a large Telco, we were using over 500 undocumented
hacks in the IOS configuration "language" to tweak things, and often if
you used one way to set something, it would behave differently than if
you did another.  Let's just accept it sucks, and design somethin that
avoids such bogocity.

Chris