Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:29:48 -0600
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        Rick Bischoff <bischoff@rickjr.org>
Cc:        stable list <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: S2460 problems

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 09:21:42AM -0500, Rick Bischoff wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>       Ok, yesterday, I announced my problem-- here is a recap.
>
>       I have a S2460 Tyan Tiger motherboard, with dual AMD 1700 XP+
>       processors, 512 MB ecc RAM, a 40 GB western digital ata 100 and
>       a 30 GB western digital ata 100.  The video card is an el-cheapo
>       GeForce2 MX and the sound card is a sound blaster live! 5.1.
>       The network card is an Intel EtherPro something or other.
>
>       This system in its entirity works perfectly under Windows.  Both
>       CPUs are functioning properly it seems.
>
>       However, when I installed FreeBSD onto either drive, the entire
>       system hard locks at random times.  What is a hard lock?  Well,
>       I can't type anything in, I can't telnet or ssh in and I sure as
>       heck can't figure out why it crashed.  I have the same problems
>       using SuSE 7.3 Linux.
>
>       I tried changing the MP spec in the BIOS from 1.4 to 1.1
>       compatibility, but it still hard locked.  I was able to compile
>       a 4.4 Stable kernel and boot into that, but soon after it hard
>       locked just the same.
>
>       One fellow suggested flashing the BIOS.  Another suggested
>       replacing the power supply-- my question is: Why does it work
>       perfect under Windows if its a hardware problem?  If anyone has
>       had any kind of success with this motherboard I would like to
>       know.

What rev of the MB and BIOS do you have? The reason I ask this is
because I have experienced similar problems with older revs of these
boards.

I have two systems with these boards in them configured thusly:

System 1:
Tyan S2460 MB (rev 1.3)
2 1.2GHz MP CPUs
1GB Reg ECC DDR RAM (4 DIMMs, 8 banks, Crucial brand)
Generic AGP video card (SiS chipset, I think)
IBM 40GB 7200 RPM IDE drive
Adaptec 3960 SCSI controller with 9 disks on the two SCSI busses.
64-bit Linksys GigE NIC

System 2:
Tyan S2460 MB (rev 1.3)
2 1800+ MP CPUs
1GB Reg ECC DDR RAM (4 DIMMs, 8 banks, Crucial brand)
Matrox G400 Graphics card
IBM 40GB 7200 RPM IDE drive
64-bit Linksys GigE NIC

The above configurations have been running solidly now for the past
3 weeks or so. Prior to that, I had older revs of the Tyan MB in the
systems (there are visible component differences between the older and
newer boards in the regulator area near the power connector and the BIOS
flash chip has 1.3 printed on the newer boards) and was experiencing
both intermittant and, sometimes, solid failures that appeared to be
related to memory problems (random hangs while running the system, boot
hangs [some with the beep code for memory errors and some without]).

From what I have heard, Tyan is now claiming that these boards don't
support more than 6 banks of memory (their user's manual claims that
they do, even lists my configuration as "typical" in one place) and my
configurations both have 8 banks.

I don't have any idea if this is related to the problem you're having (>
6 banks of memory), but it is something to consider. Also, if you have
the older boards I would attempt to switch them for the newer ones if
possible.

BTW, I had flashed the BIOS on both of the older boards with the latest
1.3 version but that didn't seem to help. At this point I suspect that
it's really a hardware problem with either the Tyan MB or AMD chipset;
and if I was a betting man, I'd put my money on the MB being at fault.

Bob

> --
> Best regards,
>  Rick                            mailto:bischoff@rickjr.org

Bob Willcox             Boucher's Observation:
bob@vieo.com               He who blows his own horn always plays the music
Austin, TX                 several octaves higher than originally written.