Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 22:30:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Internet/Intranet gateway?

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, xiyuan qian wrote:

> Hi, I have two ethernet running in my office. One is connected with
> Internet. The other is my Intranet. All use FreeBSD2.1.5 as its server.
> Since I have not enough IPs, the hosts in my intranet are assigned with
> unofficial IPs. Now, I am planning to setup one host (FreeBSD2.1.5 box)
> as a gateway so the hosts in the intranet can ftp some file from the
> internet. But I really need help on how to do that even when I have
> connected the two nets by make their hub connected.

My home LAN is using private network addresses from RFC 1918 and is
connected to the INternet via a FreeBSD server. The FreeBSD box runs the
TIS Firewalls Toolkit from ftp.tis.com (make sure you download *BOTH* the
source and the documentation tar files) and I also run the Squid caching
proxy http://www.nlanr.net/Squid

Squid provide basic WWW, ftp and gopher access to the LAN.

I also use the TIS FWTK tn-gw and ftp-gw for telnet and ftp through
the firewall. NNTP access is supplied by running a plug-gw through the
firewall to the real NNTP server. I also have plug-gw's to let AOL and CIS
clients work through the firewall.

Access to Realaudio is supplied by the raproxy available from the same
place as RealAudio is.

Email is handled entirely on the FreeBSD box which acts as a mail server.
I also run Apache to provide a very low volume website.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com