Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 20:17:30 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, karl@mcs.net
Subject:   Re: Better VM patches (was Tentative fix for VM bug)

David Greenman writes:
>    I have a suggestion. Let's not throw out random guesses about what may or
> may not be a problem. Let's actually understand the issue thoroghly, come up
> with a fix, and then tell people all about it.

Actually, I'm with Terry here.  I think throwing out random guesses is a
*much* better solution than what's occurred so far.  At least this way
folks have a clue about what *might* be going on, and some of the
'random guesses' may trigger someone's mind.

This is how *real* companies work on complex problems, and how the state
of the art progresses.

(Though I'd replace the term 'random' with 'educated', but still leave
the term 'guess' in the mix.)

The lack of progress on these bugs from the kernel hackers until Terry
makes up an 'educated guess' seems to be a good motivator. :) ;)

Nate