Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 18:04:23 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        Darren Henderson <darren@bmv.state.me.us>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to test out cron.c changes? (was: cvs commit: src/etc crontab)

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 13:19 -0500, Darren Henderson wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Gerhard Sittig wrote:
>
> > Looking at the echo returning so far I see _much_ more "yes"
> > than "nope" answers.  There's consent that *something* has to
> > be done.
>
> Heh, if its votes you are looking for then you can add another
> to your "nope" column for what its worth. The current behavior
> is the expected behavior and should remain.

If those votes help in estimating what the community opinion is:
Yes, I want to get them!  Wouldn't you like to know, too, how
much of acceptance is there for the results of work you do in
your spare time?  We only have limited resources, and we aren't
paid for contributing.  Well, most of us.  So there should at
least be the motivation of "yes, it makes sense what I do here
and it brings us some advantage".

> I'd suggest moving the man 5 conrtab BUGS section content
> (really doesn't belong there, its not really what I would call
> a bug) up to the section discussing field contents so
> admins/users are hit with it each time they look. Or perhaps
> adding a note to the default crontab comments. I'd see this as
> being more helpful.

The above crontab(5) BUGS section BTW is the result of another
"DST breaks cron / is broken by cron" PR back in April 1999.
This PR conf/10947 has a rather lengthy discussion on wether it
is a bug or an implementation detail and wheter it should be
documented in the NOTES section.

The problem with DST and cron doesn't seem to be so much that it
isn't documented.  But more that it doesn't spring to mind
immediately to those admins affected.  Especially when they
didn't schedule the daily job themselves but merely drop in their
own scripts to the collection alredy installed and having its
execution time.  Maybe the actual problem is the lack of an
afterboot(7) manpage which could make admins really check the
thousand things in a fresh installation they might even not be
aware of.

PR bin/3314 as of April 1997 BTW has a patch in it from Mark
Thompson which basically looks like what OpenBSD incorporated in
December 1997.  It was then rejected.  And it is what doesn't
solve the DST issue as I stated in the summary message since its
only criterion for the time passed by is the time(3) syscall.  So
we couldn't use it even when we were willing to teach cron about
DST.

These PRs is what I found after searching for closed PRs, too.
But I couldn't imagine that such an eternal problem is not open.
Next time I will know better.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net