Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:35:44 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Kiyawat Dharmesh <dharmesh@pun.cmc.net.in>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: decrypt a file in unix

Kiyawat Dharmesh wrote:
> HI
> On HP UNIX system I have encryted a file by mistake and forgot the key.
> Is there any way by which I can get the original file back?
> Pls help me.

This is really the wrong list for this question - freebsd-questions or
(maybe) freebsd-security would have been more appropriate - assuming you
are trying to decrypt on FreeBSD and not HP-UX (since, after all, this
is a FreeBSD list, not and HP list).

However, if you are asking what I think you are asking, then I'm sorry
to say that you probably won't be able to get the data back - since that
is the whole idea of encryption in the first place.  Depending on what
algorithm you used to encrypt the data, there is a slim possibility that
you would be able to find a way to brute force it, but I wouldn't count
on it.

Good luck
Eric

Eric Anderson     Sr. Systems Administrator    Centaur Technology
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.