Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 13:46:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jin@george.lbl.gov
To:        dburr@pobox.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need help choosing a new SCSI card

> * IMPORTANT!!  Separate SCSI buses for internal and external connector.
>   My SCSI chain is too long to have both internal and external be on the
>   same bus.

It is not clear what you want to have here.
(1)	Four buses, two for internal and two for external
or
(2)	Two buses, one for internal and one for external

None of above is possible
or
(3)	Two buses, both for internal and external with two external
	connectors and two internal connectors

(4)	Two buses, both for internal and external with one external
        connectors and two internal connectors

#(3) is available on RAID controller
#(4) is available at Diamond Fireport 40 DUAL. This one actually has
	one external SCSI-2 connector on channel one, and four internal
	connectors on both channels.
	Four internal connectors:	Two are SCSI-3 connectors for each
	channel, and the other twos are SCSI-2 connectors for each channel.

> * Narrow Ultra SCSI support (50-pin, 20MB/s).  I don't have any Wide or
>   Ultra2/U2W/etc. devices, nor do I plan on getting any.
> * FreeBSD compatibility, of course!  But it would be great if the card
>   works under Linux as well, since I have to do projects in Linux now and
>   then.
> * Reasonable cost.  I unfortunately don't have a lot of money to spend.
>
> Are there any NCR/Symbios cards that fit the bill?  I really like this
> chipset and it is a heck of a lot cheaper than Adaptec...

Diamond Fireport 40 DUAL has NCR/Symbios 876 chip. It works under FreeBSD
very well.

	-Jin