Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 1996 13:23:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TERM=cons25 in roots' .profile?!?

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Joe Greco wrote:

> > >Anyone have ideas about a more general fix than throwing an explicit
> > >TERM=xxxx in .profile?
> >
> > Don't login as root, use su :-).
>
> THAT should be in /root/.profile.
>
> > /.profile shouldn't be a (sym)link to /root/.profile.  It shouldn't
> > set HOME to /root.  Then you can just edit /.profile to suit the boot
> > environment.
>
> That would be pretty reasonable, I think.
>
> ... JG

 I was trying to find a way to get the run level on a FreeBSD
 machine.. and I did not come up with a way.  I can prove what level
 it is at by what is mounted.. etc.. but nothing that definiativly
 proves it. If we could find somthing ( that worked with just root
 mounted r/o ) we could use that as a switch for the console setting.

  -branson

 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?