Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 09:03:49 -0800
From:      Jim Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   wi and promiscuous mode

Try tcpdump -p ... meaning don't do promiscous mode.
There isn't any reason to believe that in BSS mode, prom. mode
will help much.

Unless I am incredibly wrong (and if I am, please bash me, because
someday I want to actually understand the technical ramifications of
BSS mode), you can't see 3rd party wireless traffic anyway by
definition.  In BSS mode, I think all you can see is your traffic, the
AP's traffic, and broadcast (or multicast) leaks from the ethernet
side (and maybe the occasional unicast leak from the ethernet side too?).

Two comments:

1. IMHO, APs suck for the 1 millionth time in a row.  Sorry, I can't
help it. :->  A layer 3 approach beats a layer 2 approach.   This
was a paid political announcement.

2. please if you post a problem like this,  state whether you
are in ad hoc mode or BSS mode.

				Jim Binkley
				jrb@cs.pdx.edu