Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 07:50:58 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@laserfence.net>
To:        Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Instability with offboard IDE controller, CMD-649

I experimented on my own with it abit, even going to using 40-conductor
cables and forcing it down to PIO mode 1. Nothing has helped.

I've tested the hard drive in another machine and it works fine, even at,
as you said, UDMA mode 5.

It seems the controller just can't handle any sort of heavy load... in
FBSD it dies when doing things like a make world, in Linux, a kernel
compile does the trick, and in Windows, playing any post-1996 game eats it
alive, even in the slowest of modes.

Try running your controller at a high load and see if it survives, if it
can handle it, then chances are mine is just a dud (which would not be
entirely surprising, in South Africa, nothing works)

Also, if anybody reading could recommend some proper hardware that won't
put me back too much financially, I'd be willing to try tinkering with
hardware configurations... I would also be willing to spend money to get
some nice hardware, but with the current situation of the South African
Rand, buying anything decent usually puts you back more than a month's
salary, easily.

Regards
Will

--